The nearest airports are Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW) and Dallas Love Field (DAL), which are 100 miles and 87 miles from Sulphur Springs, respectively, via I-30 E. Third choice would be Shreveport, Louisiana (SHV), which is 134 mile east of via I-30 W and I-20 W.
Driving Directions to Sulphur Springs, TX
From the west (Dallas): Take I-30 East from Dallas for approx. 80 miles. Follow I-30 E to Shannon Rd E in Sulphur Springs. Take exit 124 from I-30 E.
From the east (Texarkana): Follow I-30 W to Industrial Dr E in Sulphur Springs. Take exit 126 from I-30 W.
From the north (Tulsa): From US-271 S, take TX-286 Loop/NW Loop 286 and TX-19 S into town.
Driving Directions from Sulphur Springs to Cooper Lake State Park:
Travel north from I-30 at Exit 122 on the west side of Sulphur Springs for 10 miles on State Highway 19; then go west on State Highway 71 for four miles and north for one mile on FM 3505 to the park entrance. Time: Approximately 25 minutes.
Note: You can also use Google Maps to navigate directly to Cooper Lake State Park from any direction. Google will take you to the park accurately via some scenic way country back roads. Event signage may be limited from certain directions, so follow signs for CLSP South Sulphur Unit.
The event hotel is the Hampton Inn Sulphur Springs at 1202 Mockingbird Lane, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482. A block of rooms has been reserved at the OUSA affiliate rate of $89+tax for March 2-4. Mention “orienteering” and the date. Free breakfast and parking. Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis and may sell out. Packet pick-up will be located here on Friday. Call the hotel directly at (903) 439-4646 / http://bit.ly/hamptoninnsulphursprings
This rate is also available at the Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant, 2504 West Ferguson Road, Mount Pleasant, TX 75455, which is further east on I-30. Call the hotel directly at (903) 572-7100.
Other Sulphur Springs hotels:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sulphur Springs, 411 East Industrial Drive, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482. (877) 410-6681 / http://bit.ly/HolidayInnExpressSulphur
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Sulphur Springs, 1344 Eaton Dr, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482. (903) 885-8181/ http://www.laquintasulphursprings.com
- Best Western Trail Dust Inn & Suites, 1521 Shannon Rd E, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482. (903) 885-7515 / http://bit.ly/BestWesternSulphurSprings
- Days Inn & Suites Sulphur Springs, 1521 Industrial Dr E, Sulphur Springs, TX 78482. (903) 438-0918 / http://bit.ly/DaysInnSulphurSprings
- Motel 6, 1529 Industrial Dr E, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482. (903) 885-2105 / http://bit.ly/Motel6SulphurSprings
Cooper Lake State Park, South Sulphur Unit and Doctors Creek Unit
Cooper Lake State Park has two units: The South Sulphur Unit on the south side of the lake and Doctors Creek Unit on the north side of the lake. The orienteering event will take place at the South Sulphur unit. Lodging is available in both units, although choices are limited at South Sulphur due to embargoed areas.
Cabins: $105/night plus tax + daily entrance fee
Cabin reservations for a Friday or Saturday must include both nights. Six-person maximum, including children. Bed linens are provided. Some cabins are ADA accessible. No RVs allowed. See website for amenities.
Premium Shelters with Air Conditioning: $55/night plus tax + daily entrance fee
Eight-person maximum, with a maximum of five inside and three outside with tents. You must furnish your own bed linens. Note: Shelters are located on both the South and North units of the lake in the park. See website for amenities.
Screened Shelters: $25/night plus tax + daily entrance fee
Eight-person maximum. Some shelters are ADA compliant. See website for amenities.
RV Campsites with Water and Electricity (South Sulphur Unit): $16/night plus tax + daily entrance fee
Eight-person maximum. Some sites are back-in, some are pull-through. Six sites are designated as ADA accessible. Amenities: Picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, electric hookup, lantern post, nearby restrooms.
Please do NOT request walk-in camping at the South Sulphur Unit to avoid exposure to embargoed areas.
When you’re not in the woods, please enjoy yourselves in East Texas. Here are some ideas to get you started. Be sure to check websites or call for hours before setting out on your adventure.
- The downtown square in Sulphur Springs is a charming place to visit, with lots of little shops, restaurants and an 1894 Romanesque Revival-style courthouse. Some town history.
- America’s only public bathrooms with see-through walls: Yes, this is for real. Located on the Square.
- Hopkins County Veteran’s Memorial. On the Square.
- Hopkins County Courthouse. Beautiful architecture. On the Square.
- Trans Texas Theaters (movies): 621 Shannon Road East, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482. (903) 885-2591. http://www.tttheatres.com/
Commerce (30 minutes NW of Sulphur Springs)
- Northeast Texas Children’s Museum. Best for kids under 10. 2501 Highway 50, Commerce, TX 75429. (903) 886-6055. http://www.netxcm.com
Greenville (30 minutes W of Sulphur Springs)
- Audie Murphy/American Cotton Museum. 600 Interstate 30, Greenville, TX 75401. (903) 450-4502. http://www.cottonmuseum.com/
- Shenaniganz Entertainment Center (Bowling, LazerTag, Arcade, Billiards). 1908 Joe Ramsey Blvd E., Greenville, TX 75401. http://shenaniganz.com/index.php/about-us/greenville-location. Walk-ins welcome, but reservations are recommended for groups: Call (903) 455-2065.
- Majestic 12 Theatres. 1401 E Joe Ramsey Boulevard, Greenville, TX 75402. Movieline: (903) 455-5400. http://www.majestic-theatres.com/location/7509/Majestic-12-Theatres-Showtimes
Mineola (45 minutes S of Sulphur Springs)
- (For Mary and Janet!) Stitchin’ Heaven. “Best Little Quilt Shop in Texas.” (903) 638-6915. https://www.stitchinheaven.com. 1118 N Pacific St, Mineola, TX 75773.
- Mineola Depot and Railroad Museum. “A Great American Rail Station.” 115 W Front St, Mineola, TX 75773-2315. http://www.greatamericanstations.com/stations/mineola-tx-min/
Tyler (75 minutes SE of Sulphur Springs)
- Tiger Creek Wildlife Refuge. 17552 Farm To Market Rd 14, Tyler, TX 75706. (903) 858-1008. http://www.tigercreek.org/
- Tyler Rose Garden. Largest rose garden in the U.S. Free! 420 Rose Park Dr, Tyler, TX 75702-6859. http://www.visittyler.com/tylerrosegarden/